You may want to redirect a domain or its page(s) to another location. This article outlines the process of adding a redirect for a domain within the account's cPanel.
1. Log into your cPanel account and go to Redirects under the Domains section.
2. Select a redirect type from the Type menu.
- Permanent (301) — This setting notifies the visitor’s browser to update its records.
- Temporary (302) — This setting does not update the visitor’s bookmarks.
3. Select a domain name from the menu, or select **All Public Domains** to redirect all of the domains that your cPanel account controls.
4. In the next text box, enter the rest of the URL from which you wish for the server to redirect visitors.
For example, if you wish to redirect
http://example.com/directory.file.html to another URL, enter
directory/file.html in this text box.
5. In the Redirects to text box, enter the URL to which you wish to redirect users.
You must specify a protocol in this text box. For example,
6. Select one of the following settings:
- Only redirect with www. — This setting only redirects visitors who enter the www. prefix before the domain name part of the URL.
- Redirect with or without www. — This setting redirects all users, regardless of whether the visitor enters the www. prefix before the domain name part of the URL.
- Do Not Redirect www. — This setting does not redirect users who enter the www. prefix before the domain name part of the URL.
The interface disables the www. redirection setting if you select **All Public Domains.**.
7. Select the Wild Card Redirect setting if you wish to redirect all files within a directory to the same filename in the new directory. For example, if you enable the Wild Card Redirect setting and
example1.com redirects to
example.com, then a visitor who tries to access the
http://example1.com/pic.jpg URL redirects to the
8. Click Add.
9. To test the redirect, click the link under Directory in the Current Redirects table. If you properly configured the redirect, the system directs you to the original domain.
To add a redirect where the original domain appears in the browser’s address bar, create an addon domain and redirect it to your chosen domain. You can do this in cPanel’s Addon Domains interface (cPanel >> Home >> Domains >> Addon Domains).