There may be times you need to allow a subdomain to be managed by a different set of name servers. This aims to help walk you through setting up and delegating the name servers for a subdomain.
In order to delegate a subdomain such as app.example.com, we need to tell the DNS resolvers where to find the zone file:
- Login to your WHM or cPanel interface.
- For the WHM: Navigate to Home » DNS Functions » Edit DNS Zone.
- For cPanel: Home » Domains » Zone Editor
- Find the domain you would like to delegate the subdomain to and click on Manage for cPanel, and edit for the WHM.
- Add the NS and A records for the subdomain nameservers. For example:
app NS ns1.app.domain.com.
app NS ns2.app.domain.com. ns1.app A 192.0.2.1
ns2.app A 192.0.2.2
- Save your zone.
Once that is done, you can add the new zone, app.example.com as a zone on the new name servers you set up and continue to manage the records for this domain on the new server.