You see an error like the following when trying to connect via SSH to your server:
~ ssh USER@HOSTNAME.DOMAIN.TLD
ssh: connect to host HOSTNAME.DOMAIN.TLD port 22: Connection refused
These errors are typically caused by one of the following:
- SSHD is not running.
- The SSH port being used is wrong.
- A firewall is blocking the connection.
- Ensure that SSHD is running on this page in WHM: Home >> Server Status >> Service Status.
If it is not running, check that it is enabled on this page in WHM:Home >> Service Configuration >> Service Manager
- Ensure that the SSH port being used is correct. The SSH port can be retrieved from the Terminal in WHM with the following command:
sshd -T | grep ^port
The Terminal is at this location in WHM:
Home >> Server Configuration >> Terminal
- Ensure that the SSH port from step 2 is open or that the IP you are connecting from is allowed to connect to it. Each firewall is different, so the method for doing this will depend on your firewall and on how you want to restrict SSH traffic.