My License comes with both WHM and cPanel, what is the difference between the two?
cPanel allows the end-users to easily manage files, giving access to configurations and files only available for their domain. This is primarily used for domain/website management. Some examples of what the cPanel side of things can do are:
- Create Email Addresses
- Edit websites files through File Manager
- Can create FTP and sub-accounts for each cPanel account
- Create Addon and subdomains
You can view settings and configurations from WHM (Web Host Manager) that only root can access and change the server. This helps keep the server secure and adds an additional filter, so end-users using a standard cPanel do not restart your server or make other significant changes to the server, negatively impacting it. WHM is used for server-level management that you can generally do in SSH as root.
Some more examples of what you can do in WHM are as follows:
- Upgrade MySQL/MariaDB service
- Install and Manage SSL certificates easily for all users
- Restart or Shut Down the server
- Turn on and off services