Steps to connect to your server as a cPanel user via SSH can be found in this article.
You'll want to first make sure that the account has normal or Jailed Shell which can be set via WHM / Account Functions / Manage Shell Access.
To use PuTTY to connect to your server via SSH, perform the following steps:
1. Download and install the PuTTY client.
2. From the Windows Start menu, open the client.
3. In the Session interface, enter the hostname or IP address of the server in the Host Name (or IP address) text box (for example, 192.0.2.0).
4. Enter the port number in the Port text box (for example, 22).
5. Select the SSH protocol.
6. Click Open.
7. Enter your cPanel account’s username.
8. Enter your cPanel account’s password.
For a comprehensive list of details or other concerns regarding this, you may refer to our SSH Access Documentation. The documentation contains information regarding connecting over MacOS Terminal, and on using an SSH key.