An invalid hostname is a common reason for cPanel & WHM installation failures. The hostname needs to be a Fully Qualified Domain Name, or the installation script will not succeed. Here is a short list of examples:
- Do not select a hostname that begins with
wwwor a number, or a hostname that ends with a hyphen (
- You must use a fully-qualified domain name (FQDN) that uniquely identifies the server (for example,
- Do not choose a hostname that a cPanel account on your server will use.
- Do not choose a potential proxy subdomain as a hostname (for example,
- Do not select a socially-unacceptable hostname. The hostname will appear in mail headers.
- Only use lowercase, Latin-script letters in hostnames.
- You'll be unable to create cPanel user accounts with a domain if that domain is part of the hostname.