What are the hardware requirements so that the sites hosted on my server will run smoothly?
Our server requirements may be found here. However, these are the requirements for the cPanel software to run smoothly. Should you have moderate to heavily trafficked websites, more resources should be considered.
For a website, one page view equals one process. That process uses a variable amount of CPU and RAM. This means that if you have 10 concurrent users one day, and 100 concurrent users the next, the site's RAM & CPU requirements will increase by a factor of 10 in a single day.
Instead, to calculate the server hardware you need, you would want to do this:
- S = Your system's hardware resources, in terms of CPU/RAM/IO speed/Network throughput.
- X(n) = A site's resource per-hit. This can vary from site to site , from url to url within a site, and even from one point of time to another on a given url.
- C = The concurrent processes count generated by hits to your sites.
- D = The resource use of the system's core services
- T = The cumulative resource use of X,C, and D.
Thus, (X(1,2,...)*C)+D = T, and if T < S, the server will run smoothly. If T > S, the server becomes slow and unstable.
To truly calculate this, your administrator would need to profile all the sites on your server to determine per-hit average resource use, then either optimize the sites to allow more to fit on one server or move to a server that can handle your desired T value.