PHP FPM is a performant method of serving PHP content. Although, a common issue that users encounter with FPM on a busy server is that it requires tuning in order to avoid downtime.
We have a guide that outlines how to tune FPM:
PHP FPM Performance Tuning Basics
If you're not interested in tuning FPM to keep up with higher demands on your server, a very good alternative is the LSAPI handler. cPanel provides the LSAPI handler which makes use of the PHP LiteSpeed SAPI. Our version of the LSAPI handler does not require the use of LiteSpeed but is able to offer a solution that is comparable to PHP FPM in terms of performance but requires less tuning than PHP FPM. Use the below procedure to learn how to switch from PHP FPM to the LSAPI handler on your cPanel server.
1. Login to WHM as the root user
2. Navigate to: Home »Software »EasyApache 4
3. Click on the blue Customize button
4. Click on the Apache Modules tab on the left
5. Search for lsapi
6. Toggle it for installation
7. Click on the Review tab on the left sidebar
8. Click on the Provision button
9. Navigate to: Home »Software »MultiPHP Manager
10. Scroll to the bottom and toggle FPM off for your domain(s)
11. Click on the PHP Handlers tab
12. Select LSAPI for the handler of the version(s) of PHP you would like to use it on