In order to reduce spam, disk usage, and the load on a mail server, some admins would like to set a message size limit. This option will reject messages sent to your machine if they are larger than that size.
To set this up on your cPanel & WHM server you can do the following:
- Login to WHM and go to Exim Configuration Editor
- Choose the Advanced Editor tab
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the "Add additional configuration setting" button
- Choose "message_size_limit" from the drop down list
- You'll see the page shows you the default Exim limit of 50M, but you can enter any value you like in the box on the right that appears.
If an incoming message exceeds the limit you have specified, messages fail with a 552 error.