The server hostname is used to help identify a server by another reference beside the IP address. The hostname should be able to resolve to the server IP address
A lot of the time, primarily with more newly provision servers, the hostname may not be set up or configured in a method that may benefit your environment. The hostname can end up creating some issues with your environment that may create a problem with resolving information.
An example of this would be cPanel service SSLs. Service SSL's are generated base on the server hostname. If the hostname is not valid, you would not be able to use services such as FTP and Emails securely.
Your current hostname can be identified by checking one of two methods:
WHM: Home »Networking Setup »Change Hostname
SSH: run the command 'hostname'.
To ensure control of the hostname and ensure that it will resolve to an IP address, it is best to update the hostname to reference a domain name you control. Updating the hostname will allow you to set up an A record to resolve your server IP address. The following cPanel documentation will provide much more details in regards to the hostname and how to change it:
To change your hostname, perform the following steps:
- Enter the new hostname into the New Hostname text box.
- Remember: You must use a fully-qualified domain name as your new hostname. Your new hostname should also resolve to the server's primary IP address.
- Click Change. A popup window will appear that confirms the hostname change is in progress.
- After the system changes your hostname, scroll to the bottom of the interface, and click Add An A Entry for your hostname. WHM's Add an A Entry for Your Hostname interface (WHM >> Home >> DNS Functions >> Add an A Entry for Your Hostname).
- Review the information about your server and, if it is correct, click Add Entry.
The system will automatically configure the new hostname and add the correct A entry.
The information above assumes that your domain name has already been configured to resolve to your server. If Nameservers are not setup, then you may need setup nameserver:
If you wish to use a separate DNS server not associated with your cPanel server, then you will to make a DNS entry for your hostname.
hostname.domain.tld A ip.add.re.ss