The use of private/custom nameservers is fully supported on cPanel & WHM systems, but must first be set up with your domain registrar. The following is some guidances for setting this up with AWS Route 53.
Please note that AWS refers to these nameservers as "white-label nameservers".
- Create a Route 53 reusable delegation set. We will provide their documentation below which goes into detail on the process.
- Obtain your current nameserver IP addresses. These can be found by utilizing the "dig" command against your domain. For example:
dig A +short $(dig NS +short example.com)
- Create or edit your existing DNS Zone at Route 53 to include your nameserver IP addresses
- Ensure that your NS and SOA records in your DNS Zone include your new private nameservers
- Create the glue records at the registrar, whether that is AWS or another registrar.
The procedure that we touch on is generalized, though AWS has a more engaged step-by-step process here:
There is also a video on the process at the following link if needed: