Below, you'll find the steps needed in order to convert an account's primary domain to an addon domain.
To update the current primary domain to an addon domain configured on the cPanel:
- Log into the user's cPanel account.
- Back up the account in question before making any changes.
How to generate a backup of my entire cPanel account from the cPanel interface
- Remove the addon domain using the "Domains" interface.
How to remove an addon domain or subdomain from an account
This will not remove the directory that contains the addon domain's site content.
- Log into WHM as the 'root' user.
- Navigate to "Home » Account Functions » Modify an Account."
- Select the account on which to change the domain name.
- Click the "Modify" button.
- In the "Primary Domain" field, enter the new primary domain name.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the "Save" button.
- Log back into the user's cPanel account.
- Add the former primary domain as an addon domain using the "Domains" interface.
How to create an Addon Domain
- Move the site content from the public_html folder to the new addon domain's directory.
- Move the site content from the old addon domain's directory to the public_html directory.
- Recreate any e-mail addresses and FTP users that belong to the domain that was the addon domain.